Saturday, October 27, 2007

Temple Bread (Whole Wheat)

I guess this is the recipe used in the Chicago Temple Cafeteria. I sized it down for two loaves:

2 cups very warm water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp. salt
1 T yeast - I use 2 yeast packets
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups white flour

Mix very warm water with honey. Pour yeast packets into water and let dissolve. Add oil and salt. Add three cups of wheat flour. Mix well. Add the rest of four and knead dough. Let dough rise 1 hour. Punch down. Shape into two loaves. Let rise another hour. Bake at 375 degrees for 22 minutes.

The original recipe says to mix the water, honey, oil, salt, and three cups of flour before adding the yeast. I'm too scared to try that... but maybe it would work better that way. I have a way of killing the yeast and I'm afraid that would make it easier for me to do that.

No comments: